Cannabis beverages are a growing trend, and it’s easy to understand why. From CBD-infused coffee to THC microdose sodas, there are seemingly endless flavors and styles that can be used to make stoney signature drinks in place of traditional cocktails.
While no one is trying to take away our precious margaritas or frosé, reducing alcohol consumption in general is increasingly popular among people of all ages. With physical and mental well-being seen top priority, cannabis drinks can satisfy the thirst for delicious beverages that provide relaxation without hangovers or added calories.
Part of the fun of cocktails is the element of craft that goes into them. Of course, the many ready-to-drink cannabis beverages can be enjoyed on their own as an alternative to alcoholic tipples, but for those who crave the ritual of mixing something unique in their home bar — or for those who want to enjoy a complex drink that equal more than the sum of its parts — these recipes are for you.
The concoctions below use a combination of pre-made infused beverages and tinctures. Any type of tincture, such as full-spectrum hemp, CBD or THC, will work, though we are partial to nano tinctures that are made specifically for beverages since they mix in easily and don’t change the flavor profile.
How to make delicious cannabis-infused cocktails
Before you start mixing, there’s a few tried-and-true tips you should have at your disposal for the best canna-cocktail experience:
- After following a recipe, periodically taste and adjust the amounts of each ingredient to create your ideal balance.
- Use nice ice! Invest in an ice mold to create more professional cocktails that won’t dilute quickly.
- Add your own flare: play around with garnishes to put a personalized stamp on homemade drinks. Try anything from cinnamon sticks to fresh figs.
Why a canna-grapefruit spritz
Spritzes are easy-breezy cocktails that lend themselves well to brunch and summer days. The idea being that you’re probably going to have a few of them. Spritzes should be light yet flavorful, and not too sweet. An easily customizable drink, you can use any seasonal fruit, juice or herb — this recipe builds on the herbal and bitter-tangy-sweet grapefruit flavors that naturally pair well with piney terpenes found in cannabis.
- 8 oz Cann Grapefruit Rosemary Tonic
- 2.5 oz fresh grapefruit juice
- Fresh rosemary herb sprig for garnish
- Pour grapefruit juice over the ice in a large glass, then add the sparkling mixer.
- Massage the herb sprig between your palms to release its essential oils and place into glass.
Products we mixed: Cann Social Tonics
If ever there was a drink that embodies the microdose mentality, this is it. This is the philosophy behind Cann Social Tonics, a small serving size sparkling drink that has only 2 milligrams of THC and 4 milligrams of CBD. Any of their flavors create a lovely spritz.
As an alternative, use your own low-dose tincture along with a high-quality tonic or sparkling mixer, like the ones from Q Tonic. If opting for a flavored seltzer, consider adding ½ ounce of sweetener such as maple or simple syrup.